Sunday, September 5, 2010

meltdown

I've lost hope of ever being any good at my current career... Every day I go to work, I pretty much feel terrible about myself and am finding this intolerable. So, maybe this is a passing feeling and I'll regain a minimal level of confidence... Or not. Nevertheless, without this job, my life is a bucket of shit... The truth is that most of the people who work in this profession are nerdier, geekier, smarter, more focused, more productive, and younger than me. I just don't see how there's a future for me in it.... and I have no other talents with which I can make a living. Every day, I am humiliated by my counterparts who are obviously much more talented than me. It's an intolerable situation for me, and it's unsustainable.

Without the security of a career, everything else is on hold. No buying a house. No planning anything.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I am sure your work is valued more than you think and whether or not there are people who are more talented, 70% of most jobs is just showing up and working. Also, it is really clear that YOU really value the job, making you willing to work for IT and not just working to pay the bills. You have had jobs you hated... remember what that feels like?

You ever think about advancing in the direction of management? It may not seem very appealing but can be a good direction for someone with your level of experience. Just an idea...